7/21/11

Player Bio and Interview: Hüseyin Camalan


From Bilkent National Championships, 2011 

Nicknames: never had one
Year of birth: 1990
Height: 5' 10"
Jersey number: #13 (Unlucky numbers are charming)
Started winning by playing Ultimate in: 2008
Joined Goats in: 2008
How?: Speaking teachers in prep-school happened to be players. I was invited to check out a practice, so I brought a friend. Since then both him (İlker Demirci) and I have been playing.

What were your best and worst moments in the team?
Best moment: It was at the national final in 2010 when we were playing the longest universe point (took 20 minutes) against Türk Kası who were coming down hard on us. I had been handling but never had good long throws, so here is a turnover in the middle of the field and our best handler at that time (Eric Stashak) yells "GO". With all the exhaustion, I make a 50-yard deep cut to a high long floating backhand, to catch the disc and win the team the title.
Worst moment: It was when we lost the ITU championship final in 2011. We had never lost before in any competition and that certainly contributed. The first thing I thought was how I would explain the results to old team friends who were abroad at the time.

What were the funniest things in the team?
İlker's throws (forehand blades, push flicks, flicks from between the legs, etc.) and Mehmet's (Özeren) life lessons gained through hard experience (e.g. using moisturizer instead of sunscreen thinking that moisturizer could reflect the UV rays and getting sunburnt all over)

What's your favorite Ultimate meal? 
In between games, I prefer baked slices of bread, cream cheese, maybe some nuts and a fruit. Too much food before games upsets my stomach. But since this meal is too light, I eat like a beast after the games are finished.




How do you see yourself as a player? What are your virtues and vices?
When I think about my first practice, I remember that I ran quite a lot, perhaps more than anybody else on the field. Nothing has changed to this day on that matter. I still run a lot and am generally of the faster guys on the field. Being so skinny perhaps isn't so good for one's attractiveness but certainly has its advantages in the game! 
My biggest vice is probably the mindset. On a regular practice I play very carelessly, whereas I care so much on important games that I stumble, both of which result in numerous turnovers. Some patience and control would certainly make me a much better player.

What are your current projects in terms of Ultimate?
I'm trying to get to improve my verticals, sprint faster and learn to layout. Also working on forehand hucks and break throws. There is a throw that I had invented but I abandoned that project since the throw doesn't go further than 10 yards. Instead working on the chicken wing throw just for fun.

Can't lay out

What do you think would make the Goats a better team?
People playing consistently with a lot of determination - we don't usually push ourselves much in practice. That, and regular conditioning training.

How do you summarize your experience with the Goats?
It was probably the nicest thing that happened to me in college. Over the years my thoughts changed vastly on what I liked and where I belonged, except the Goats. This team will always have a place in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment